As dean of graduate literary studies, I couldn’t be prouder of the work we do in our MA and MFA programs. I have been teaching at Mills since 1992, and each year I watch our graduate English students transform their writing voices, teaching identities, and research. Our MA and MFA alumnae/i are changing the world through their work and their words.
We are located in one of the nation’s most active and engaged literary regions—the San Francisco Bay Area. The Mills MFA in creative writing, MA in literature, and combined MFA in book art and creative writing degree programs offer access to our world-class faculty, an inspiring campus, and a curriculum emphasizing the intersections between social justice, community action, and the literary arts. Our innovative book art and creative writing MFA programs offer unique opportunities to experience tradition and innovation as you challenge yourself with new projects and ideas.
We have no defined profile for a writer, scholar, or teacher at Mills—our goal is to help you claim your individual voice and vision through mentoring, community activism, and interaction with a diversity of colleagues, faculty members, and literatures. Our graduate students thrive because of our committed teaching, access to stimulating academic and community opportunities, and the ability to engage in interdisciplinary work with other Mills programs in literature, arts, and education.
- We cultivate an environment where you embrace intellectual and creative challenges, and evolve as artists and intellectuals.
- We are part of a community, not just a campus, which facilitates the development of political and social consciousness.
- We meet difficult questions head on, engaging critically and respectfully with the work of others.
- Our classrooms value the diverse knowledge and experiences our students bring.
- We are committed to making expectations clear and achievable; teaching concrete skills for critical and creative inquiry, self-empowerment, and expression; and demystifying academic conventions and the creative process.
- We acknowledge that in any conversation about reading, writing, culture, art, and society, there can never be one final opinion.
Come and visit Mills! It is the only way to truly experience our graduate English programs and strong sense of community, and it will help you make the important decision about which graduate school to attend. I look forward to meeting you and your aspirations at Mills.
Cynthia Scheinberg, PhD