International Students
Information for International Graduate Students

We welcome your interest in Mills College. As an international student, you will find that understanding the American regulations on international student admission is of utmost importance to your success in enrolling in a graduate program. The International Applicant Packet and information below describes the specific procedures that you must follow if you apply to and are admitted to Mills. Please note the earlier application deadlines (October 1 for spring admission, December 15 for fall admission) due to the additional requirements.


We will need one hard copy of official evaluated transcripts, as well as one hard copy official transcript in the native language, if applicable, of all your undergraduate and graduate work, showing a strong academic record. Evaluation of your transcripts by a NACES member organization is necessary to ensure that an equivalent of a four-year US baccalaureate degree has been obtained.


Written recommendations sent in support of your application should speak to your English writing and speaking abilities, potential for success in graduate studies, as well as your commitment to your academic purpose. Special recommendation forms are provided as part of the online application or are available for download on the program application page.

TOEFL/IELTS Examinations

The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is required for all non-native speakers of English unless she/he holds the equivalent of a bachelor's degree from an English speaking, regionally accredited university or college located in the US, Canada, Australia, or Great Britain. Most programs require a minimum of 550 on the paper-based test, 80 for the internet-based exam, or an IELTS overall band-score of 6.0 or higher. Graduate programs in English require minimum TOEFL scores of 600 on the paper-based test, 100 for the Internet-based exam, or an IELTS overall band-score of 7.0 or greater.

Certification of Finances

The Certificate of Finances form and bank statement are due with all other application materials.

US government regulations require that international students show evidence of guaranteed funds to support their tuition and living expenses while studying in the US.

These funds may be provided by a person other than the student and this may be indicated on the Certificate of Finances form. Official documentation of the funds, usually in the form of a bank statement, is also required.

Upon receipt of the Certificate of Finances form and all other application materials (such as official and evaluated transcripts, official TOEFL scores, etc.), your file will be forwarded to the graduate program for review.

US government regulations prohibit students with a F-1 student visas from employment off campus. While the visa does allow for on-campus employment, Mills College is, unfortunately, unable to offer on-campus jobs to international students. Mills financial aid is very limited, and we cannot guarantee assistance to any graduate student.

Obtaining a Visa

When we send you the I-20 form, you will take the form, passport, and proof of your ability to support your college education (bank statements, letters of credit, scholarship letter, etc.) to the nearest US consulate. An official at the consulate will stamp an F-1 visa inside your passport. Together with your I-20 form, this visa will enable you to enter the United States and to be a student at the institution named on the I-20. Should you change your mind and decide to study at another institution, you may jeopardize your student status and may not be allowed to remain in the country. Consult with the nearest US consulate or embassy if you have any questions about the visa application process.

Do You Have Questions?

If you have further questions about the graduate admission application process, please contact the Office of Graduate Admission at 510.430.3309 or

Living on Campus

Commuting to Campus

Student Handbook

Graduate Catalog

Check Your Application Status

Contact Information
P: 510.430.3309

If you have a specific question for a faculty member, please contact or call 510.430.2117.

Last Updated: 8/4/07