Why Mills

P: 510.430.3170

F: 510.430.3379

E: education@mills.edu

International Applicants
Information for International Students and Applicants with International Transcripts
Transcripts | TOEFL/IELTS Examinations | Certification of Finances
Employment |  Obtaining a Visa | Questions

If you are applying as an international student who will need a student visa to enroll, please refer to each of the headings below as well as to the admission information for all applicants to the Mills College School of Education. Additionally, the Mills College Office of Graduate Admission provides an International Applicant Packet with specific descriptions of the procedures you must follow. Please be aware that it is very important to meet the October 1 deadline for spring enrollment or the December 31 deadline for fall enrollment due to these additional requirements.

If you are applying as a US citizen or permanent resident but have completed undergraduate or graduate work in another country, please refer to the directions under Transcripts below.

If your undergraduate or graduate transcripts are not from a US institution of higher education, you must have them evaluated by a NACES member organization in order to confirm equivalency to US degree programs. A bachelor's degree or the equivalent is an absolute requirement for any of our graduate programs. We will need one hard copy of officially evaluated transcripts, along with one hard copy of official transcripts, in the applicant's native language if applicable, of all undergraduate and graduate work. All transcripts must show a strong academic record.

TOEFL/IELTS Examinations
International students whose native language is not English are required to take either the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). Admission to the School of Education requires minimum TOEFL scores of 550 for the paper-based exam, 80 for the internet-based exam, or an IELTS overall band-score of 6.0 or higher.

Official scores should be submitted directly to Mills College Office of Graduate Admission from the testing agency. For fall admission, these tests should be taken by the end of October of the preceding year.

Certification of Finances
United States government regulations require that international students show evidence of guaranteed funds to support their tuition and living expenses while studying in the US. The Certificate of Finances form and bank statement are due with all other application materials.

These funds may be provided by a person other than the student and this may be indicated on the Certificate of Finances form. Official documentation of the funds, usually in the form of a bank statement, is also required.

United States government regulations prohibit students with an F-1 student visa from employment off campus. While the visa does allow for on-campus employment, such jobs are very limited. International students in our ECE programs do often have assistantships in the Children's School.

Obtaining a Visa
If you are admitted and confirm your decision to attend Mills with an enrollment deposit, we will send you the I-20 form; you will then take the form, passport, and proof of your ability to support your college education (bank statements, letters of credit, scholarship letter, etc.) to the nearest US consulate. An official at the consulate will stamp an F-1 visa inside your passport. Together with your I-20 form, this visa will enable you to enter the United States and to be a student at Mills, as named on the I-20. Should you change your mind and decide to study at another institution, you may jeopardize your student status and may not be allowed to remain in the country. Consult with the nearest US consulate or embassy if you have any questions about the visa application process.

Do You Have Questions?
If you have further questions about the graduate admission application process, please contact the Office of Graduate Admission at 510.430.3309 or grad-admission@mills.edu.

Last Updated: 6/17/14