Mills graduate students interested in federal employment are eligible to apply to the Presidential Management Fellowship program. These fellowships include placement in a two-year, paid full-time position with a federal agency with accelerated promotion potential. The program has a four-step application process:
1. Apply online by the PMF deadline:
The application is available at https://www.pmf.opm.gov in early September; please see that site for complete details and deadlines each year. The online application entails submitting a résumé, completing a qualifications questionnaire, and downloading a PMF Nomination Form. Print copies of these materials to submit in the next step.
2. Request a nomination from Mills College by noon on the Monday following the PMF application deadline
Note that the nomination step comes after your online application deadline. You should provide a personal statement (maximum two pages) explaining why you are applying for a PMF, including attention to these PMF selection criteria:
- the breadth and quality of your accomplishments
- your capacity for leadership
- your commitment to excellence in the leadership/management of public policies and programs
- other relevant qualifications you would bring to a PMF position.
Attach copies of the résumé, questionnaire, and nomination form prepared in step 1. Deliver to the Program Coordinator in the Mills College Public Policy Program. The Mills PMF Nominating Committee will select nominees from among all applications submitted and forward these applications by the PMF nomination deadline.
3. Assessment process, October - December
All nominees will be invited to participate in a structured assessment process at centers across the country, including Los Angeles, Seattle, and Denver. Selection criteria include situational judgment test, life experiences, and writing fundamentals. Candidates will be notified by email of their status, and those who are selected as Semi-finalists will be invited to a structured in-person assessment.
4. Agency placement, late February/early March
Finalists will be invited to the PMF Job Fair in Washington, DC to secure placement with participating federal agencies.