Departments & Programs
Academic Calendar
ยป Undergraduate Catalog
Catalog Archives

Home > Academics > Undergraduate >
Undergraduate Catalog

Transfer Students

Transferring from Other Colleges
Priority admission and scholarship consideration is given to applicants who submit required materials by the March 1 priority deadline or the April 1 regular decision for fall entry and November 1 for spring entry. For financial aid purposes, California residents applying for a Cal Grant must file the FAFSA and GPA Verification form by the March 2 deadline. Applications received after the regular decision deadlines will be considered on a rolling basis. Financial aid and scholarships may still be available. Please call the Office of Undergraduate Admissions for additional information.

To apply for transfer admission, students must submit the Common Application with the $50 application fee and the following: 

College Record
Students currently enrolled in college should submit a transcript that includes all subjects completed and courses in progress. An official transcript must be sent from each college attended. Up to two years of a normal course load at an accredited community or four-year college is acceptable for transfer and usually will result in junior standing if all work is in the liberal arts curriculum. Not all course work taken at other colleges may be counted toward fulfillment of the Mills major or degree requirements; this will be determined by the M Center in consultation with relevant Mills academic departments. A preliminary evaluation of transferable credit is provided upon admission.

Letter of Recommendation

Students are required to submit one recommendation from a college instructor. The recommendation form is available through the Common Application or you may download the following pdf: recommendation form.

Students who have fewer than 24 transferable semester units must also submit the following: 

Secondary School Record
Applicants must submit an official secondary school transcript with proof of high school graduation only if the student has fewer than 24 transferable units. The General Education Development (GED) diploma or state-approved high school graduation equivalency may be substituted for the high school diploma. Applicants with an AA degree, but without a secondary school diploma or equivalent, may also be considered for admission.

Entrance Examinations
Transfer applicants must present the official results of the SAT Reasoning Test or ACT taken during the high school or college years if they have fewer than 24 transferable semester units. Students presenting 24 or more transferable semester units may omit this requirement. Exceptions to the standardized test requirement will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Institution codes are 4485 for SAT and 0332 for ACT.

An admission interview with a transfer counselor is recommended as an opportunity for the College to become acquainted with the applicant and to acquaint the applicant as thoroughly as possible with Mills. Interviews are available on campus or through Skype or FaceTime. Applicants may also request a Credit Transfer Evaluation appointment.  

Visiting Mills

We highly encourage students considering Mills to visit the campus. Arrangements for a tour and information session, or class visits, and, if desired, an overnight accommodation in a residence hall, can be made by contacting the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. In addition, special visit programs are held throughout the academic year. Contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions for more information.

The Office of Admission is open Monday-Friday from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm; phone hours are 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. Interviews are offered between 9:00 am and 3:30 pm, Monday through Friday.

To contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions:
510.430.2135 (for international or local students)
510.430.3298 (fax)

Undergraduate Catalog
Table of Contents

About Mills

Academic Requirements

Academic Regulations

Transfer Credit


Advising and Registration

Course Descriptions

Majors and Minors

Graduate Degree and Certifcate Programs

Student Life



Financial Aid

Last Updated: 7/2/15