Departments & Programs
Academic Calendar
» Undergraduate Catalog
Catalog Archives

Home > Academics > Undergraduate >
Undergraduate Catalog

Health Programs and Services

Wellness and Community Outreach (WCO)

Student health and wellness is a primary concern of the College, and Mills College involves students in designing and evaluating its services to ensure high quality services, education, support and resources that promote students' well-being.

The Office of Wellness and Community Outreach provides individual coaching and educational programs on campus and online. Services include referrals to community providers and resources. The Manager of Wellness and Community Outreach is the liaison for the Student Health Center and the administrator for the Mills/Kaiser Permanente Student Health Plan. She also advises the Community Health Resource Center (CHRC), a student-run organization concerned with sexual and reproductive health that provides peer advice and resources to students.

The Wellness Manager offers education, coaching or referrals for many aspects of physical, emotional, social, environmental, and spiritual health such as: nutrition and healthy eating, sexual and reproductive health, managing chronic illness, sleep and activity, allergies, stress, healthy relationships, substance abuse, sexual misconduct or violence prevention and response, community health and wellness services, and social service needs.

Support is provided in navigating healthcare, including: choosing a health insurance plan; the Affordable Care Act and health plan options through the health benefits exchanges (Covered California in California); public health insurance and coverage options; understanding covered benefits; selecting a physician, dentist, counselor, or alternative health provider; or applying for social services or public benefits.

Mills College requires that all students carry health insurance. Coverage options include one of two plans offered by the College or alternate coverage that meets the requirements of the Affordable Care Act. The Mills Student Health Plan provides comprehensive medical coverage through Kaiser Permanente, chiropractic benefits through Ash Companies, and dental coverage through MetLife Dental. A second plan option is the Mills High Deductible Medical Plan (covering medical, mental health and vision care) through Kaiser Permanente and chiropractic coverage through Ash Companies. The second plan does not include dental coverage.

All students must enroll in one of the plans or waive Mills coverage online once a year during Summer Open Enrollment. ​Find out effective coverage dates and how to enroll or waive here. Students enrolled in either one of the Student Health Plans through Kaiser Permanente can access a comprehensive array of educational, medical, mental health and vision services at any Kaiser Permanente facility in Northern California and online. Students may also access any Kaiser Permanente facility in any region it operates as a visiting Kaiser Member (see locations here). Students may purchase additional coverage for dependents including: spouse, registered domestic partner, and children. Dependent benefits include medical insurance (covering medical, mental health and vision care) and chiropractic coverage ​only (no dental plan). 

The Student Health Center on campus provides students with access to a physician and a nurse five days a week during the academic year. M​ost office visits are free. Some fees apply for the Student Health Plan and additional fees for ​those who are not Kaiser members. Find out more information about the Student Health Center here. The Student Health Center serves Mills College students only. Dependents of covered students can receive care at any​ Kaiser Permanente facility.

Options for students who graduate or leave Mills College include purchasing health insurance through Covered California or another health benefits exchange. 

Check the Mills College website online for additional information about Wellness and Community Outreach in the Division of Student Life as well as the Student Health Plan and the Student Health Center.

Visit Wellness and Community Outreach and Counseling and Psychological Services in the Cowell Building or call 510.430.2130 for more information.

Counseling and Psychological Services (CPS)

College life poses numerous challenges to students inside and outside the classroom. These include the need to develop and sustain friendships and intimate relationships, to balance academic, work, and social commitments with self-care, to navigate changing relationships with family of origin, to adjust to group life in the residence halls, or to cope with the pressures of a daily commute.

Students may be at a point in their lives when they are exploring aspects of personal identity, core values, sexuality, career interests, and social roles. Resuming and graduate students may experience both similar and different pressures, as they balance personal and family needs and return to an academic environment after a period of absence.

When concerns such as these interfere with students' academic achievement and sense of well-being, the staff at CPS is here to help. CPS offers short-term counseling and crisis intervention and provides psycho-educational workshops and discussion groups on a periodic basis. CPS also provides referrals to off-campus resources for ongoing psychotherapy and/or psychiatric medication.

For more information or to make an appointment, visit the Cowell Building or call 510.430.2130.

Undergraduate Catalog
Table of Contents

About Mills

Academic Requirements

Academic Regulations

Transfer Credit


Advising and Registration

Course Descriptions

Majors and Minors

Graduate Degree and Certifcate Programs

Student Life



Financial Aid

Last Updated: 6/4/14