Dining at Mills
Natural foods sustain your body while supporting your values.
Emphasizing organic and fresh local ingredients, Mills serves a range of delicious food including vegeterian and vegan options. We offer a choice of convenient meal plans that cater to both residential and commuter students and use sustainable practices throughout our dining halls.
Founders Commons—with its panoramic views of the Mills campus and the Oakland hills—is our primary dining hall, serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner seven days a week.
The Tea Shop is a casual eating option where you can dine in or take your food outside to enjoy some sun on Adams Plaza or Toyon Meadow. At the Tea Shop you can choose from hot foods, soup and salad, freshly prepared and packaged cold foods, and an extensive beverage selection—perfect for a quick lunch between classes.
Socially Responsible Dining
Mills has implemented a number of programs throughout its dining halls to ensure that we are socially responsible. Mills received a first place award for its use of foodservice organics from RecycleMania, a nationwide recycling competition for colleges and universities. Other sustainable dining efforts include:
- Founders Commons Dining Hall diverts 97% of its waste to composting. Only 3% goes into the garbage.
- Almost every item from the Tea Shop is compostable, from paper cups and napkins to utensils and to-go containers.
- Mills eliminated non-recyclable, single-serving plastic condiment packages in favor of permanent, reusable dispensers.
- In an effort to conserve water, Mills now goes "trayless" in its main dining hall.
- Reuse containers are available for getting food to go.