Living Learning Communities
A Living Learning Community or LLC is a community of first-year students who live together in a residence hall (or are Mary Atkins commuters), share a common interest, and participate in group activities with a designated faculty member, student life representative, and upper-class student. We created Living Learning Communities to not only extend your learning beyond the classroom, but also to foster friendships among like-minded students and professors.
You will choose from a variety of LLCs (simply designate and rank your top choices on your Freshwoman Residence Application/Agreement). Most people get their top picks.
Academic Fusion or Scholars in Action?
As a member of an Academic Fusion Living Learning Community, you will take a class with your hall mates that's typically taught by your faculty advisor. You will also participate in thematically related events, such as attending concerts, films, theater presentations, lectures, art exhibits, and more.
Scholars in Action Living Learning Communities focus on a shared interest but are not tied to a class; in some cases those themes are academic in nature, and in others they're more about life enrichment. The Scholars in Action LLCs also have faculty and student life advisors who help organize a variety of interesting activities such as networking events, field trips to area businesses, visits to local spiritual communities, and whitewater rafting excursions.
Each year we offer a diverse selection of LLCs based on student interest. Here's a sample of communities that we have offered recently:
Academic Fusion LLCs
- Ethnic Studies Living Learning Community
- History Living Learning Community
- Music Living Learning Community
- Philosophy Living Learning Community
- Sociology Living Learning Community
- Women and Gender Studies Living Learning Community
Scholars in Action LLCs
- Adventure Education Living Learning Community
- Dog and Cat Lovers Living Learning Community
- Leadership and Management Skills Living Learning Community
- Science Living Learning Community
- Social Justice and Educational Change Living Learning Community
- Sustainability and Local Food Living Learning Community
Visit our housing website for a list of this year’s Living Learning Communities.