More than a number—

That's how we'll treat you from the moment you inquire about transferring to Mills.

Mills is a college where individuals matter. A place that embraces diversity and values the voices of women. A place where you can pursue your interests and debate ideas with the support of faculty who believe in your intellectual journey. Your voice will become your greatest asset in making a difference in the world. And if you're like most, you'll wish you had transferred here sooner.

Are you a transfer student?

You are considered a transfer student if you are currently enrolled at another college (or were previously) and have some college experience.


Transfer Credit

Please click here to learn about our transfer credit policy. If you would like to meet with a transfer counselor to discuss transfer opportunities, please register for an individual appointment and interview by clicking here or call the Office of Undergraduate Admission at 800.87.MILLS.


Visit Programs

Please click here to learn more about our transfer visit programs.



Helpful Information:


Apply to Mills with the online Common Application. Make sure to also submit the Mills College Supplement to the Common Application.

Official College Transcript(s)
Official transcripts from all colleges attended must be sent directly to Mills from the issuing institution. Transcripts must indicate courses in progress. Please make sure your current name appears on the college transcripts.

Instructor Evaluation
Ask a professor of an academic subject who knows you well to complete a recommendation on your behalf using the Common Application Online Recommendation System. A formal letter of recommendation may be substituted for this form. Applicants may substitute an employer recommendation in place of an instructor recommendation if they have not attended college in the last two years.

Transfer students who have completed fewer than 24 transferable semester credits must also submit the following:

Official Secondary School Record

Applicants must submit an official secondary school transcript indicating high school graduation. Applicants who have not graduated from high school must also submit the General Education Development (GED) Diploma or state-approved high school graduation equivalency exam. When submitting your documents, if your name has changed, be sure your current name appears on the secondary school transcript as well.

Official SAT (Scholastic Assessment Test) OR ACT (American College Test) Score Report

Resuming students (age 23 or over) may request an exception to this requirement.  Exceptions are considered on a case by case basis. All international students and all students enrolled in secondary schools outside the US must submit SAT or ACT scores.

The following forms listed for transfer students in the Common Application are NOT required:

  • College Official’s Report
  • Final Report

The Mid-Term Report is optional.

Application Deadlines


Priority Application Deadlines

Regular Application Deadlines



March 1

April 1 and rolling thereafter



November 1

November 1 and rolling thereafter


Candidates are typically notified within three weeks of receipt of the application and all required materials. Applicants for the spring semester have two weeks from receipt of their admission offer or their financial aid award offer, whichever is later, to submit an enrollment deposit. Applicants for the fall semester have until May 1 to submit an enrollment deposit.

Transfer Student FAQs

Do I need a certain GPA to transfer to Mills?
The suggested minimum GPA to be admitted to Mills is a 3.0, but we also consider other factors such as writing skills, strength of curriculum, and number of credit hours.

How many units do I need to transfer to Mills?
There is no minimum number of units required. You may apply for transfer admission after one or more semesters of college work.

What is the maximum amount of units Mills will accept for transfer credit?
Course work in the liberal arts will be considered for transfer credit. Students transferring from four-year institutions can transfer a maximum of 77 semester hours. A maximum of 67 semester units or 100 quarter units will transfer from community college.

How do you determine a student's GPA if she has attended more than one college or university?
The admission committee will review each individual cumulative GPA from each institution attended. The admission committee will consider factors such as dates of attendance and trends when reviewing multiple college transcripts.

How will I know which of my courses will transfer?
Students who are offered admission will find a report in their acceptance packet. This transfer credit report is also available to view on the Mills portal. Enrolling students will recieve a final evaluaiton after submitting their final college transcript.

Generally, liberal arts courses that are similar in content and depth to courses available at Mills are offered transfer credit. For students attending California community colleges, courses that are UC-transferable will usually transfer to Mills as well.

Can I attend Mills as a part-time student?
Yes, part-time attendance is possible, although the majority of students attend Mills on a full-time basis. Mills scholarships are not available for part-time study.

What type of college classes are you looking for from your applicants?
General education requirements (mathematics, natural sciences, social sciences, history, English, languages, etc.) offered at your current school are the most helpful for us to review and are more likely to be transferable. The admission committee looks for a well-rounded curriculum to ensure a student's success in Mills' liberal studies environment. The admission committee also looks closely at the strength of the curriculum.

Do you require a high school transcript or test scores?
Students who have completed 24 or more transferable semester units do NOT have to submit a high school transcript or test scores. Students who have completed less than 24 transferable semester units are required to submit a high school transcript, proof of high school graduation and SAT or ACT test scores. Resuming students (age 23 or over) may request an exception to the test score requirement.

If I already have a bachelor's degree, can I earn a second bachelor's degree from Mills?
Yes. The second BA or BS must be in a field that is unrelated to the first degree. Students will be required to spend a minimum of three semesters at Mills and complete at least 12 semester course credits, or more if needed to complete the new major. Students are not required to complete the Mills general education requirements or other degree requirements, except those pertaining to the major.

How many students apply to Mills as transfer students?
The number varies each year; however, we usually receive around 300 transfer applications for fall and 100 transfer applications for spring. Transfer students make up about a third of our overall student body.

Is there a limit to the number of credits that can be transferred?
Mills will accept up to 77 semester units from a four-year college and 67 semester units from a two-year college.

Are midterm or current grades required?
In certain cases, you admission counselor may request that you send midterm or current grades to help us better evaluate your application.

If I am admitted as a transfer student, am I automatically admitted into my major?
Students are admitted to Mills College and not to a major or department. Majors must be officially declared through the Office of the Registrar before the end of the student's sophomore year or before the end of her first-semester junior year if she transfers with junior standing.

Articulation Agreements

Most course work completed at an accredited four-year, liberal arts institution will transfer to Mills College. Courses taken at California community colleges that transfer to the University of California (UC) system are generally transferable to Mills. Please refer to the Mills Undergraduate Catalog for a detailed description of Mills' transfer of credit policy.

Mills College has articulation agreements with a number of California community colleges (see below). These agreements indicate which courses in various areas of IGETC (Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum) will satisfy general education requirements at Mills. Although many students wish to complete general education requirements prior to transferring, keep in mind that you can complete these requirements AFTER transferring to Mills. If your school is not listed below but is a California community college, please refer to the General Education Matrix for transfer students.

Articulation Agreements
Berkeley City College
Cabrillo College
Chabot College
City College of San Francisco
College of Alameda
College of Marin
College of San Mateo
Cottey College
De Anza College
Diablo Valley College
El Camino College
Foothill College
Gavilan College
Laney College
Las Positas College
Los Medanos College
Marymount College
Mendocino College
Merritt College
Napa Valley College
Orange Coast College
Pasadena City College
Sacramento City College
San Jose City College
Santa Monica College
Santa Rosa Junior College
Skyline College

Cross-Registration Agreements

If you are enrolled in at least six units at a community college in the Bay Area, you may be able to take a class at Mills through our cross-registration program. Cross-registration enables you to experience Mills first hand for the same cost of a class at community college. This is a great way to sample Mills both academically and culturally, thereby ensuring that when you are ready to transfer, you’ll have a smooth transition.

To participate, you simply meet with a counselor at your community college, choose an appropriate class, and fill out a cross-registration permit. Bring the completed cross-registration permit with you to the first day of class at Mills and ask the professor to sign it. Submit the form to the Mills M Center. Once you are officially registered in a class, you may obtain a parking pass, student ID and library card.

Students from participating colleges may choose any lower division class at Mills that is not currently offered at their home institution. Students must have at least 12 semester hours of University of California or California State University transferable units with a GPA of 2.0 or above to be eligible for cross-registration.

Participating Schools
Berkeley City College
Chabot College
City College of San Francisco
College of Alameda
College of Marin
Contra Costa College
Diablo Valley College
Laney College
Merritt College
Napa Valley College

Honors Partnerships

Mills College offers special benefits to students who are certified honors students from partner colleges (see below) who submit completed applications by the stated deadlines. Benefits include, but are not limited to:

  • Priority admission consideration
  • Application fee waiver
  • Renewable annual scholarships in the range of $10,500 to $14,000 for students with a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher
  • Invitations to campus visit programs

Honors Partners

All colleges that are members of the Honors Transfer Council of California, including:

City College of San Francisco
Foothill College
Las Positas College
Los Medanos College
Santa Monica College
Skyline College

Transfer Guidelines for Specific Majors

Transfer Students In Their Own Words


Becoming a leader

Maritza can see herself as a leader thanks to the supportive community at Mills.


The right blend of diversity and personal attention

Tea transferred from a large university and found the right academic environment for her.

Meet more students »

Our size = personal attention.

  • Mills enrolls approximately 1,000 undergraduate women.
  • Over one-third of our new students each year are transfers.
  • Mills has about 200 full- and part-time faculty members.
  • Student/faculty ratio is 11:1.
  • Average class size is 16.
  • Most classes have fewer than 20 students.

Last Updated: 10/21/14