Art Museum
Athletics & Recreation
Center for Contemporary Music
Children's School
Diversity Programs
Fine Arts Events
ยป Housing
Student Activities & Clubs
Student Government
Student Publications

Home >

Living At Mills

How to Apply for On-Campus Housing

Students who've paid an enrollment deposit can submit Housing Applications through the online StarRez system, accessed through the Mills Portal. The Room Draw process for continuing students is also conducted through StarRez (visit the Room Draw and Lottery webpage for details).

You can access the online Housing Application under "Featured Services" in the Mills Portal, linked to here.

A one-time $250 application fee is required before the Housing Application can be accessed. Application fees will not need to be resubmitted by students who reapply for on-campus housing in the future, but the housing application fee is non-refundable. Application fees can be paid as the first step of the online Housing Application (accessed through the Mills Portal) or by cash, check, Visa, or MasterCard through the HMDS Office (by visiting Sage Hall 138 or calling 510.430.2127).

Summer 2015 and Academic Year 2015โ€“16 applications will be available beginning April 1, 2015. The application deadline for summer housing is April 16, 2015. Summer housing is only available to students who will live in summer housing for at least 21 consecutive nights. At least 21 nights' notice must be given by students planning to move out mid-summer. Priority is given to full-summer applicants. Summer residents must meet at least one of the following criteria:

  • Enrolled in summer class(es)
  • Working on campus over the summer (must have a faculty or staff sponsor)
  • Lived in the Courtyard Townhouses or the Underwood Apartments in spring 2015 and will once again live in one of these spaces in fall 2015

The priority housing application deadlines for 2015โ€“16 are June 1, 2015, for first-year students, transfer students and entering graduate students (see the Room Draw page for application information for continuing students).

User guides for the 2015โ€“16 application processes can be found here:

StarRez User Guide to the Application for Lottery and Room Draw for Continuing Students

StarRez User Guide to the Application for New First-Year Students

StarRez User Guide to the Application for New Transfer and New Graduate Students

We also offer January Term housing for students that have registered for January Term but live off campus or in a Traditional Residence Hall. The January Term Housing Application/Agreement can be found here. It is a paper application and needs to be submitted to HMDS by TBD.

For questions about housing and the application process, please contact Housing Management and Dining Services (HMDS) at 510.430.2127 or

Application Materials

To apply for family housing in the Underwood Apartments, please complete the Family Housing Info and Waiting List Application.

To apply for all options besides family housing, please complete the Housing Application under "Featured Services" in the Mills Portal.

To request Specialty Area application materials for the Larsen House Co-op, or the Prospect Hill Apartments, please contact HMDS at

Resources and Information

Deposits and Refunds

Service Animal Policy

Occupancy Periods

Early Arrival Policies

Late Stay Policy

Check-Out Information

January Term Housing Agreement/Application

Room Change Application

Housing Agreement Release Application

Work Orders


Living at Mills

Residential Options

Themed Housing Communities


Application Fees and Refunds

Occupancy Periods

ID Validation and Move In

Room Draw

Move Out

Residential Life



Contact Information

Housing Management & Dining Services (HMDS)
Sage Hall, Room 138

P: 510.430.2127
F: 510.430.2155
Last Updated: 3/2/15