The purpose of the Student Leadership and Mills of Color Awards is to recognize the distinguished undergraduate, graduate students, student organizations, faculty, and staff for their promotion of leadership, community, and quality of student life at Mills College. You can find a list of last year’s award recipients here.
Any Mills College student, faculty, or staff member may nominate a Mills College student, faculty member, or staff member for the Student Leadership and Mills of Color Awards. Please review the criteria and eligibility below for more information. To submit a nomination, complete the online nomination form during the nomination period. Nominations will be accepted online (PDF forms available upon request to Jenn Wells at Jwells@mills.edu). Nominations will not be accepted after 11:59 pm on Saturday, April 19.
Please click here to submit your nomination. Late submissions will not be considered. Selections will be made by a committee of students, staff, and faculty and announced at the Student Leadership and Mills of Color Awards Ceremony 4:00-6:00 pm, Thursday, May 1st in the Student Union.
Criteria and Guidelines
The Student Leadership and Mills of Color Awards are given to current Mills College students, faculty, and staff who have had an extraordinary and positive impact on the College community, including achievements within the College at large and the larger community. Successful nominations should demonstrate that the individual or organization has made a significant and positive contribution to the College in one or more of the following ways:
- Building community
- Enhancing wellness
- Promoting social justice and advocacy
- Demonstrating civic responsibility
- Actively volunteering
- Creating innovative and new projects or activities
- Innovating and enhancing existing College programs or services
- Exhibiting outstanding leadership with an organization or project
The following are eligibility requirements that must be met by each nominee.
- Student nominees must be in good academic standing.
- Student nominees must be registered during the semester the award will be given, or have graduated the previous December.
- Nominations should be based on achievements that date from March of the previous year; for the 2014 awards, nominations should be based on achievements between April 2013 and April 2014, unless otherwise noted.
- Nominated organizations must be currently registered with the Office of Student Activities or with an academic department.
- Typically, work done as part of a compensated role is not considered, however extra-ordinary achievement by a student who goes above and beyond the normal expectations of work will be considered. Please indicate in your nomination if this is the case.
- Current Mills College faculty, staff, and students are eligible to nominate a student for the Student Leadership and Mills of Color Awards. Self-nominations are also accepted.
Awards and Descriptions
Student Leadership Awards
- Outstanding Senior: Graduating senior recognized for involvement in and contribution to the Mills community.
- Helen Carroll Award: Faculty, staff or student recognized for dedication to securing equal rights and combating discrimination of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people.
- Peg Dean Leadership Award: Established by Alumna Edyth Chan to recognize an Asian American student for demonstrated leadership on campus.
- Coleen Gragen Award: Faculty, staff or student recognized for dedication and advocacy for women.
- Christine LaFia Award: Senior with outstanding service to the College over their entire time at Mills.
- Shirley Weishaar Award: Outstanding service to the Division of Student Life over their entire time at Mills.
- Palladium: Honor society recognizing juniors and seniors who combine academic excellence with service to the College over their entire time at Mills. Palladium requires a 3.0 GPA.
- Leadership in Campus Sustainability: Student recognized for outstanding leadership in furthering environmental and social sustainability into the campus culture.
- Student Organization of the Year: Presented to an organization that has demonstrated through their events and activities, outstanding collaboration and dedication to educating the Mills and broader community in support of the College’s and the ASMC’s mission.
- Student Organization Advisor of the Year: Recognizes a campus advisor who dedicates time and resources to the advancement of a club or organization. The nominee offers support to students through mentorship, guidance, and advocacy.
Mills of Color Awards (MoCA)
Established in 2004 in order to distinguish the accomplishments and contributions of people of color both as individual leaders and to the greater Mills community. This space served to highlight leadership through the practice of community, solidarity, and social justice.
In Spring 2006, the MoCA awards were combined with the campus Student Leadership Awards in order to centrally highlight the achievements of all students, while honoring the legacy of these important community based awards.
- MoCA Emerging Leader of the Year: Recognizes a first year, sophomore, or new transfer who has exhibited exemplary leadership.
- MoCA Junior Leader of the Year: Recognizes a junior student who has exhibited exemplary leadership.
- MoCA Senior Leader of the Year: Recognizes a senior student who has exhibited exemplary leadership.
- MoCA Outstanding Athlete: Recognizes a student who has participated in sports at Mills and has exhibited exemplary leadership.
- MoCA Artist of the Year: Recognizes a student who has exhibited excellence in the arts and/or effectively used art as a medium for social change.
- MoCA for Community Service: Recognizes a student who has demonstrated a commitment to serving the Mills community or wider communities of color.
- MoCA for Community Activism: Recognizes a student who has demonstrated leadership in social justice activism within the Mills and/or non-Mills community.
- MoCA Graduate Leader of the Year: Recognizes a graduate student who has demonstrated exemplary leadership.
- MoCA Staff Member of the Year: Recognizes a staff member who has demonstrated outstanding support to students through mentorship, guidance, and advocacy.
- MoCA Faculty Member of the Year: Recognizes a faculty member who has demonstrated outstanding support to students through mentorship, guidance, and advocacy.
- MoCA Student Organization of the Year: Recognizes an organization that has demonstrated outstanding collaboration, leadership, and dedication to Mills and the greater community.