In 2007, the Mills College Sustainability Committee was created to synthesize the various environmental programs and efforts across campus. The committee allows for a cross fertilization of ideas from a wide range of perspectives and departments. This coordination among different areas of the institution allows for a deeper engagement with the initiatives.
Mills: A Vision of Stewardship
The Sustainability Committee:
- promotes and develops environmentally sustainable practices, social responsibility and campus stewardship;
- provides policy leadership;
- facilitates community partnerships;
- encourages environmental inquiry, research and education;
- inspires future leaders in sustainability
During the 2014-2015 academic year, the Sustainability Committee will be focusing on these initiatives:
- Mills College is a signatory of the ACUPCC and has pledged to reduce greenhouse gas emissions 15% by 2015. This includes conducting a greenhouse gas inventory on a regular basis to track changes and targeting specific reductions strategies. Currently specific strategies include lowering energy consumption through lighting, building infrastructure, and behavior change. Another significant area of investigation includes alternative transportation options to reduce drive-alone commuting.
- The Urban Farm at Mills College subcommittee is implementing a planning grant to complete a 5-year development plan for the farm. This grant will be submitted in February and be used to seek funding to scale up opportunities for learning on the farm.
- The completion of STARS, the Sustainability Tracking and Rating System, in order to create an inventory of current practices and determine key future initiatives.