Career Services
Center for Academic Excellence
Disability Services
Financial Aid
» Health & Counseling
International Students
Mail & Copy Center
Peer Tutoring
Registrar & Records
Safety & Transportation
Student Accounts
Writing Center

Home > Student Services >
Health and Counseling
Enrolling in or Waiving the Mills Student Health Plan

Summer Open Enrollment is 7/1 - 8/31.

Winter Open Enrollment is NOW CLOSED.
 Winter Open Enrollment is December 1st -  January 31st.

Coverage Periods: The Spring Term of the Mills Health Plan is effective from January 15th - August 14th. The Fall Term of the Mills Health Plan is effective from August 15th - January 14th.

Summer Open Enrollment:

Every Mills student MUST enroll or waive once a year during the Summer Open Enrollment period (7/1-8/31) as long as you are a student at Mills College.

Regardless of whether you enrolled or waived or made changes to dependents during Open Enrollment in the Winter, you must, IN ADDITION, enroll or waive in the Summer and once every academic year during the Summer as long as you are a student at Mills. Summer Open Enrollment is 7/1-8/31 every year. Your enrollment/waiver and dependent coverage for the Fall carries over for the Spring Term - UNLESS you make changes to it during Winter Open Enrollment.

NOTE for new students: You will be charged for the Health Plan unless you waive out.  However, charges that appear on your account do not mean that you have been enrolled in the plan. You must do that yourself by going online to the Student Net during Open Enrollment (7/1-8/31 in the Summer or 12/1-1/31 in the Winter).

Late changes or attempts to enroll are not automatic and will delay your coverage and care. You will incur late fees. So please complete the process during Open Enrollment.

See below for details about how to enroll or waive online.

Enroll or Waive Online During the Next Open Enrollment Period (7/1–8/31 or 12/1–1/31)

All Students Must Enroll or Waive Online: All students must enroll online once a year during Open Enrollment (7/1-8/31) at the Student Net site. Students who have comparable alternate coverage may waive online using the same site. A second annual Open Enrollment period (12/1-1/31) is offered for new students entering in January or for those who wish to make changes to their enrollment mid-year.

It is every student's responsibility to complete the enrollment or waiver process online during the Open Enrollment period. Students who take no action during the Open Enrollment Period may be enrolled and charged for health coverage.

To waive or enroll, please go to the Student Net site to complete the enrollment or waiver electronically. You must complete the process electronically through the Student Net site. DO NOT try to enroll or waive before or after the Open Enrollment periods (7/1–8/31 and 12/1–1/31) or print the enrollment or waiver forms. Although that option exists for other colleges working with Kaiser Permanente, Mills College is not able to process those enrollments or waivers. All actions during the Open Enrollment Period must be done via the interactive dialogue boxes in the web application at the Kaiser Student Net. Once you have enrolled or waived electronically, you will receive a confirmation via email. Please keep this confirmation for your records.

January Entry New Students: Students who enter Mills College starting in the January must enroll or waive online during the Winter Open Enrollment Period (12/1-1/31) - see above.  In addition, January entrants (starting in the Spring Term) must ALSO enroll or waive during the Summer Open Enrollment that immediately follows in the same year AND once a year, every year during Summer Open Enrollment (7/1-8/31) as long as she/he is a student at Mills College.

Late Changes: After the close of the Open Enrollment Period, requests for changes are discouraged and considered late. Late change requests may be submitted to the Wellness Manager in 123 Cowell along with a completed Late Enrollment Change Form or Waiver Form. Late change requests are subject to a late fee of $150 that will be added to your student account.

Late Enrollment Due to Loss of Alternate Coverage: Students who lose alternate health coverage and have a notice of loss of coverage (for example loss of Medi-Cal coverage because a student turns 21 years of age) may request late enrollment in the Student Health Plan by bringing the notice of loss of coverage to the Wellness Manager at 123 Cowell. Verifiable loss of coverage will enable students to request special late enrollment without a late change fee. Mid-term or late-term enrollment fees will be prorated according to Kaiser Permanente policies.

Billing for Student Health Plan: Some students may see charges for the Student Health Plan on their account and assume they do not need to enroll online at the Kaiser Student Net.  This is not correct.  Charges for the Health Plan will appear on the accounts of entering students. Despite this, do not assume this means you are enrolled. All students must ENROLL or WAIVE online during Open Enrollment (7/1-8/31) and once a year every year they are students at Mills College. Some students may see charges for the Student Health Plan on their account despite having waived the coverage. This may be due to a timing issue in our billing cycle. In paying your bill, you should be able to deduct this charge from the amount you pay. Charges should zero out after reconciling accounts in September. Monitor your student account regularly. Sign up for eRefund in your student portal. If you still see charges that you do not owe on your student account, contact the M Center at 

The Affordable Care Act: Although the individual mandate of the Affordable Care Act exempts those who earn less than $10,000 per year from required individual health insurance, you are required by Mills College to carry health insurance as long as you are a student here.

California's Health Benefits Exchange: Plans purchased through Covered California: meet the alternate coverage requirements for most Mills students. International students have additional requirements (make an appointment with the Wellness Manager by calling 510.430.2130).

If you waive, you must first have purchased an alternate plan or be covered on a parent or spouse or partner's plan. You will need to have all information about the alternate plan, including the policy number, before you complete the Mills Health Plan online waiver.

If you are a dependent on your parent(s)' income tax, you may not sign up for Covered California as the head of your own household. Those who are head of household or filing taxes independently (with California residence) may consider Covered California, where government subsidies are available on plans for those in households earning up to 400% of the Federal Poverty Level.

Covered California Open Enrollment started on October 1st, 2013 and ends December 15th for plans starting January 1st. There are several more late open enrollment deadlines for Covered California this first year in early 2014 through March.

Coverage After Graduation: There is no option to extend the Student Health Plan for students after graduation. However, students may sign up for individual plans with Kaiser Permanente at or go to Covered California (our California Health Benefits Exchange): or the Federal Benefits Exchange: or their home state benefits exchange. To learn more about options beyond the Student Health Plan, please review Mills College Students Health Insurance After Graduation or contact the Manager of Wellness and Community Outreach.

If you have questions about your insurance, please email

Student Health Plan Dates of Coverage:

Fall: August 15–January 14

Spring: January 15–August 14

Academic Year 2013–14 Health Plan Rates for student only (rates are higher if adding dependents):

  • Undergraduates $3,600 per year (charged $1,800 per semester includes Dental)
  • Graduates $3,600 per year (charged $1,800 per semester includes Dental)

Academic Year 2013–14 Health Plan Rates for dependents/family: (in addition to student charge)

*Spouse Medical Insurance, per year $4,000 excludes Dental

*Child(ren) Medical Insurance, per year $3,335 excludes Dental

*Family Medical Insurance, per year $7,335 excludes Dental

Charges for enrolling dependents will appear on student accounts.

For more information, visit the Student Health Plan page or contact

Students who are readmitted/reinstated after Open Enrollment closes must contact the Manager of Wellness and Community Outreach. These students will be granted an extension of 10 days beyond the closure of Open Enrollment to waive or enroll in the plan. Students who fail to do so will be enrolled in the Student Health Plan and charged for the full semester.

Students who are readmitted/reinstated beyond the 10–day grace period will be automatically enrolled in the Student Health Plan and their student accounts will be charged for the full semester. Students must complete the Late Enrollment Change Form and submit it to the Administrator by leaving at Cowell Reception Desk or emailing it to


Counseling and Psychological Services

Counseling & Psychological Services

Counseling Staff

Wellness and Community Outreach

Flu Information

Wellness and Community Outreach Staff

Student Health Center

Student Health Plan

Enrolling or Waiving the Student Health Plan

Student Health Care Over the Summer

Community Health Resource Center

Wellness Classes and Events

Contact Information

Wellness & Community Outreach
Cowell Building

P: 510.430.2260
F: 510.430.3235

Student Health Center
(for appointments, nurse advice or to return a call)


Last Updated: 3/13/14