All canines coming to campus must be registered with the Mills College Department of Public Safety.
All animal owners using the Mills College facilities are required to abide by the following college regulations as well as all local statutes, ordinances, and regulations pertaining to their animals:
- Animal owners are liable for any and all injuries and/or damages caused by their animals to persons and/or property.
- Animal owners MUST clean up after their animals. Animal owners are expected to carry suitable containers for the removal and proper disposal of animal feces.
- Dogs may be walked on the campus during daylight hours only.
- Under the ADA, service animals must be harnessed, leashed, or tethered, unless these devices interfere with the service animal’s work or the individual’s disability prevents using these devices. In that case, the individual must maintain control of the animal through voice, signal, or other effective controls. Except for service animals, dogs must be kept on a leash at all times. Leashes may be no longer than six feet. Unleashed animals will be reported to the Oakland Police Department Animal Control Unit.
- Under no circumstances are animals to be left unattended. If an animal is found unattended, the Department of Public Safety will cite the owner and the Oakland Police Department Animal Control Unit will be called to remove and impound the animal. Impounded animal fees are solely the responsibility of the animal owner.
- The fine for non-compliance is $25.00 per incident.
- Animals must be registered with the appropriate government agency.
- All bites in the county are investigated to insure the public's health and safety and that the city ordinances pertaining to dangerous dogs are enforced. Any incident involving an animal bite to a human should be reported to Animal Services. Oakland Animal Services: during business hours call 510.535.5605; during non-business hours, call Oakland Police Dispatch at 510.777.3333.
No animals are allowed in any Mills College buildings, with the following exceptions:
- Canines registered with the Mills College Department of Public Safety
- Working service animals
- ORL professional staff can have animals in the Residence Halls.
- Residential faculty and staff living in Faculty Village or at the President's House are allowed to have animals inside their houses or apartments.
- Violations of the Animal Policy may result in the revocation of animal access privileges on the Mills College campus.