Why Mills

P: 510.430.3309

E: grad-admission@mills.edu

If you have a specific question for a faculty member, please contact grad_eng@mills.edu.

Tuition & Financial Aid

If applying for Graduate Assistantships or Fellowships (below), please submit your materials with your MFA or MA program application.  After the priority deadline of January 15, all materials will be reviewed on a rolling basis with your application.  Details on how to apply are included in the online application.  Applicants for the low residency MFA in Translation program are not eligible for graduate assistantships or scholarships, but may be eligible for federal loans. 

We are fully committed to ensuring that a Mills education is within reach for those who have the desire and the qualifications to attend. Our costs are competitive with other colleges of our caliber, and we provide access to a range of financial aid, including need-based scholarships, partial-tuition graduate assistantships, competitive full-tuition fellowships, and loans.

To learn more about applying for state and federal financial aid (including loans) at Mills and to access downloadable forms and applications, visit the Mills graduate financial aid page. For tuition, fee, and payment information, visit graduate tuition and fees.

English Department Graduate Assistantships

Partial-Tuition Graduate Assistantships: All applicants to our graduate English programs and current students who are taking two or more courses per semester are invited to apply for partial-tuition graduate assistantships. Positions are available in the Composition and Rhetoric Program, Book Art Program, undergraduate creative writing and literature classrooms, The Place for Writers, and 580 Split (our student-run literary journal), and research assistant positions working with faculty. 

Students are eligible for partial-tuition graduate assistantships during all years of study. Partial-tuition assistantships are awarded annually and are not guaranteed from year to year; students must re-apply each fall for the following academic year. 

Fellowships in Writing and Community Engagement: All new applicants to our graduate English programs may also apply for a small number of competitive full-tuition fellowships. Fellowships are awarded for two years (if the student enrolls in the two-year program) or three years (if the student enrolls in the three-year program). Please click here for full description and guidelines.

New applicants must submit all fellowship and graduate assistantship materials by the December 15 priority application deadline. See the English supplemental application and the online application for details on materials and application instructions.

Federal Sources of Aid

Loans: Eligible students may borrow up to $20,500 for Master's Degree programs under the Federal Stafford Loan Program. To be considered for federal loans, applicants must submit a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) by February 1 at www.fafsa.gov.  

Another federal loan program is the Graduate Plus Loan, a credit-based program from which students may borrow up to the full cost of attendance, minus existing financial aid awards. To be considered for federal loans, you must submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Fall applicants should submit the FAFSA by February 1. Applicants applying for fall on a rolling basis after the deadline should submit the FAFSA as soon as possible. For more information on federal loans, see the Mills College Graduate Financial Aid website and the Federal Student Aid website. Students concerned about managing the repayment of their loans should view these resources on Income Based Repayment and other repayment options.

Loan Forgiveness Programs: Students who plan to work in public service jobs may qualify for the federal Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program Students interested in teaching in elementary or secondary schools may qualify for the Stafford Loan Forgiveness Program for Teachers. The loan forgiveness program websites, along with our Financial Aid Office can provide more information.

Aid for Military Families: Both the federal government and nonprofit organizations offer money to veterans, future military personnel, active duty personnel, or those related to veterans or active duty personnel. Please view the Federal Student Aid website to learn more about these grants.

External Sources of Aid

Our students have successfully found scholarships, grants and loans from a variety of financial institutions and funding organizations. While we do not endorse individual organizations or websites, we have collected the following resources that you may find helpful.

E4FC–Students who have DACA status or otherwise do not have legal residency in the United States can access this list of scholarships and fellowships that do not require proof of citizenship or legal permanent residency.

Funding sources for aspiring artists–View this list of funding sources, compiled by the Jack Kent Cooke Foundation.

Davis-Putter Scholarship–This scholarship provides grants to undergraduate and graduate student activists working to effect social change and peace.

National Association of Graduate and Professional Students–This organization provides some helpful links for locating funding opportunities as well as resources and advice for graduate students.

Browse this comprehensive list of scholarships prepared by Mills.

International students may browse this list of scholarships prepared by Mills, the internationalscholarships.com website, as well as the E4FC list above.

Scholarship search tools:
Scholarship Search
College Prowler
College Scholarships
Sallie Mae’s Scholarship Search

Last Updated: 11/7/16