The new master of fine arts degree in translation at Mills College is the first low-residency program of its kind in the San Francisco Bay Area. This five-semester program provides students with a flexible academic schedule, practical experience in the world of translation, and a solid foundation and understanding of contemporary translation trends.
You start each semester with a week of study on the 135-acre Mills campus where you will:
- Meet with a renowned translator who will mentor you and help design your program based on your interests.
- Workshop your translations (in English) with master translators and your peers.
- Present your work to small groups and to larger multicultural and multilingual public audiences.
- Access the networking and professional resources of the Bay Area translation community.
- Participate in a Translation Festival with public readings, performances, and conversations with master translators.
Mentored Study and Online Classes
The MFA in translation offers you the opportunity to study diverse aesthetic traditions and bold new trends. During the year, you’ll work one-on-one with your mentor as you write and revise your work. Online classes will explore theoretical issues and professional development. You’ll also engage with a vibrant local community of translators and creative voices. As part of your program, you will complete both a creative and critical thesis.
In addition to providing you with a solid foundation in literary translation, the Mills MFA also includes a semester in Practical Translation. This unique semester is designed to enhance your critical and creative work while grounding you in real-world skills and experience that can help prepare you for translation in medical, legal, or other professional fields.
SUMMER RESIDENCY: June 1–8, 2017
WINTER RESIDENCY: TBD
Tuition: $9,500 per semester
Visit our admissions requirements page for detailed information about applying. You may start your online application anytime. If you have general questions about the program, please contact: email@example.com. Please see the MFA in Translation Housing Agreement here. If you have questions about housing please call 510.430.2127 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.