Tuition & Financial Aid

mills image

We are fully committed to ensuring that a Mills education is within reach for those who have the desire and the qualifications to attend. Our costs are competitive with other colleges of our caliber, and we provide access to a range of financial aid, including scholarships, assistantships and loans. Some are funded by Mills directly, and others are state and federal programs.

To learn more about applying for financial aid at Mills and access downloadable forms and applications, visit the Mills graduate financial aid page. For tuition, fee, and payment information, visit graduate tuition and fees.

Scholarship and Financial Aid Resources

Mills Sources of Aid

Mills Scholarships: The Infant Mental Health program awards individual scholarships to qualified students. Applicants who submit a FAFSA by the deadlines described above will be considered for any type of scholarship for which they are eligible. Students who are DACA eligible or otherwise unable to submit a FAFSA online should contact the Office of Graduate Admissions to discuss the possibility of submitting alternate documentation to be considered for need-based scholarships.

Assistantships: Applicants to the IMH program are automatically considered for an assistantship in the Mills College Children's School as part of the application review process. Applicants should complete the FAFSA and indicate their interest in an assistantship on their application form. Assistantships may be awarded to students regardless of their citizenship status in the United States.

Specialized Programs: Mills College has partnered with various organizations to allow for matching or automatic scholarships to students who enroll full-time at Mills, such as:

AmeriCorps: Mills College offers an AmeriCorps Matching Grant to qualified AmeriCorps alumni. This award matches AmeriCorps funds the student requests for graduate educational costs on a dollar-for-dollar basis up to $5,500. Please note that any institutional funds (assistantships or scholarships) previously awarded are considered part of the institutional match.

Federal Sources of Aid

Loans: Eligible students may borrow up to $20,500 for Master’s Degree programs under the Federal Stafford Loan Program.

Another federal loan program is the Graduate Plus Loan, a credit-based program from which students may borrow up to the full cost of attendance, minus existing financial aid awards. To be considered for federal loans, you must submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Fall applicants should submit the FAFSA by February 1. Applicants applying for fall on a rolling basis after the deadline should submit the FAFSA as soon as possible. For more information on federal loans, see the Mills College Graduate Financial Aid website and the Federal Student Aid website. Students concerned about managing the repayment of their loans should view these resources on Income Based Repayment and other repayment options.

Loan Forgiveness Programs: Students who plan to work in public service jobs may qualify for the federal Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program Students interested in teaching in elementary or secondary schools may qualify for the Stafford Loan Forgiveness Program for Teachers. The loan forgiveness program websites, along with our Financial Aid Office can provide more information.

Aid for Military Families: Both the federal government and nonprofit organizations offer money to veterans, future military personnel, active duty personnel, or those related to veterans or active duty personnel. Please view the Federal Student Aid website to learn more about these grants.

External Sources of Aid

Our students have successfully found scholarships, grants and loans from a variety of financial institutions and funding organizations. While we do not endorse individual organizations or websites, we have collected the following resources that you may find helpful.

E4FC–Students who have DACA status or otherwise do not have legal residency in the United States can access this list of scholarships and fellowships that do not require proof of citizenship or legal permanent residency.

Davis-Putter Scholarship–This scholarship provides grants to undergraduate and graduate student activists working to effect social change and peace.

National Association of Graduate and Professional Students–This organization provides some helpful links for locating funding opportunities as well as resources and advice for graduate students.

Browse this comprehensive list of scholarships prepared by Mills.

International students may browse this list of scholarships prepared by Mills, the website, as well as the E4FC list above.

Scholarship search tools:
Scholarship Search
College Prowler
College Scholarships
Sallie Mae’s Scholarship Search

Contact Information

P: 510.430.3170
F: 510.430.3379
Last Updated: 2/24/17