The one-year MBA can be completed in two semesters and is designed for students who have completed substantial business course work at other institutions. Students in the One-Year MBA program must have completed seven courses (21 course credits) of business course work prior to starting their Mills MBA and complete their degree by taking at least 10 courses (totaling at least 30 course credits) at Mills. To accommodate the schedules of working professionals, all required courses are offered in late afternoon or evening time slots at least once during each academic year.
All credit for previous coursework must be approved by the Dean’s office prior to starting the program. To count toward the MBA, previous course work must meet all of the following criteria:
- Completed within five (5) years prior to enrollment in the MBA program
- Grade earned must be “B” or better
- Courses must have been completed at an accredited, four-year college or university (Financial and Managerial Accounting may be taken at an accredited junior/community college or continuing education program in which the courses have been certified for credit eligibility towards the CA Certified Public Accountancy exam)
- Foundation and core courses must cover comparable course material to the corresponding required MBA course, as determined by the Dean’s office prior to starting the program, and must be at least 3 semester course credits. Students must complete the capstone course MGMT 290 Strategic Management at Mills. Students who have taken course work that meets some but not all of the above criteria can request a placement exam from the Dean’s office and can receive credit if the placement exam demonstrates the level of understanding expected of students who have completed the required course.
- Elective courses must have been taken at the graduate level and must be relevant for the MBA degree as determined by the Dean’s office prior to the student’s first semester in the program. The Dean’s office will also determine whether any elective courses taken prior to beginning the MBA program count toward a concentration.
After students have started the program all courses must be taken at Mills, and all students must complete at least 30 semester course credits at Mills in order to earn a Mills MBA.
One-year MBA students generally have at least two years of professional work experience. If students have limited professional work experience, an internship is strongly recommended prior to or during their time in the program.
Students complete the one-year MBA by taking 15 semester course credits per semester over two semesters.
Fall semester (15)
Any remaining Foundation courses
Selection of Core and Elective courses
Spring semester (15)
Remaining Core and Elective courses
(15 semester course credits)
The MBA requires five foundation courses which provide grounding in fundamental concepts that all MBA graduates are expected to master.
MGMT 209 Economics for Managers (intermediate-level micro- and macro-economics) (3)
MGMT 214 Financial Accounting (3)
MGMT 215 Managerial Accounting (3)
MGMT 216 Corporate Finance (3)
MGMT 263 Quantitative Methods for Business (3)
Students planning to complete the MBA in one year must complete all foundation courses during their first semester since the Foundation courses are required prerequisites for other required courses.
(21 semester course credits)
The MBA requires seven core courses in which students learn about functional areas of management through courses in marketing, operations, human resources management, management information systems and applications of economic concepts to management decision-making. In addition, students take two courses designed to hone their leadership skills and perspectives–Leadership and Ethics and our capstone integrative course in strategic management.
MGMT 226 Management Information Systems (3)
MGMT 230 Marketing Management (3)
MGMT 232 Operations Management (3)
MGMT 234 Human Resources Management (3)
MGMT 244 Leadership and Ethics (3)
MGMT 279 Applied Economic Analysis (3)
MGMT 290 Strategic Management (3)—capstone course taken during the student's last year of study
(a minimum of 15 semester course credits)
Students are free to choose any combination of electives that earn at least 15 semester course credits. The electives provide an opportunity for students to strengthen their general business knowledge or focus on a particular area by completing a concentration in: accounting,
social impact and innovation, or socially responsible business. See the complete list of elective courses. Some courses outside of MGMT can also be taken as electives toward the MBA; students interested in this option should seek prior approval from the Dean’s office before enrolling.