Telephone number 510.430.2196 is answered when the library is open. Check hours listed in the right hand column.
Stop here whenever you want to:
- borrow a book
- check out reserve materials
- listen to a compact disc or view a video
- place a hold on books that are checked out to another borrower
- ask for a trace
- pay fines
The Mills ID card, supplied with a barcode and current semester sticker, serves as your library card. It is required for all transactions at the Circulation Desk.
If a book you want to borrow is checked out to someone else, you may place a hold or recall.
- A hold will reserve the book for you when it is returned to the library on its regular due date.
- A recall shortens the loan period for the original borrower to eight days from when the recall request is made. Recall provides a quicker means for obtaining an item currently in use.
Holds and recalls may not be placed on course reserve materials.
Students may check out books for a 4 week loan period. Renewals are usually possible unless there is a hold or recall on the item by another patron.
- Current periodicals may be checked out for seven days.
- Reserve materials circulate for two- or 24-hour periods.
- Audio-visual materials:
Videos from the library's collection of noncirculating videos may only be used in the library. LPs, CDs and videos from the library's collection of circulating videos may be checked out for seven days.
You may renew regular circulating materials by phone, in person or online via the MyMinerva link available on Minerva or on the Portal.
Reserves cannot be renewed (online or by phone).
If no one else has requested the item, 2 hour reserves can be checked out again in person.
1 day reserves can be checked out again only after a 3 hour waiting period. This gives others a chance to use the item.
We do not keep a wait list for reserves
- 2 and 3-hour reserves – $2.00 per hour
- 24-hour reserves – $2.00 per hour
- Circulating videos – $1.00 per day
- Circulating CDs and LPs – $1.00 per day
- Periodicals - $0.25 per day
The charge for lost books is a $60.00 replacement fee and a $15.00 non-refundable processing fee. The replacement and non-refundable fees also pertain to books that are damaged beyond repair. Circulation privileges are blocked when charges exceed $20.00. Unpaid library fines may result in a hold being posted to a student's Banner record. Banner holds block student services such as registration, diplomas, and transcripts.
If MINERVA indicates that an item is checked in, but you don't find it on the shelf, you may request a trace on the item at the Circulation Desk.
Click here for information on the Library's circulating collection.