Bachelor’s-to-Master’s Accelerated Degrees in Creative Writing & Literature

BA/MFA in Creative Writing

Focus on your interest in writing and contemporary literary studies by pursuing a bachelor’s-to-master’s accelerated degree in creative writing. You’ll develop highly marketable writing skills as you complete both a bachelor’s and a master’s degree in the time it takes to get one degree at other schools. You can even choose an undergraduate major in another area of study to broaden your opportunities.

BA/MA in English Language & Literatures

Develop your skills as both a critical reader and writer by pursuing a bachelor’s-to-master’s accelerated degree in English language and literatures. You can choose to major in any undergraduate field while pursuing your master’s degree. With just one additional year of study beyond your bachelor’s degree, you’ll graduate with two degrees and advanced opportunities. 

Frequently Asked Questions

> Q: What’s the difference between a bachelor’s and a master’s degree?

Bachelor’s Degree

The most common college degree earned after high school is the bachelor’s degree, also known as a “baccalaureate.” At liberal arts colleges like Mills, the bachelor’s degree can be completed in four years of full-time study; nationwide, however, students take an average of five years to finish it. A liberal arts baccalaureate provides you with both a broad base of knowledge and in-depth understanding of a specific field (your major). Mills awards two kinds of bachelor’s degrees: the bachelor of arts (BA) and the bachelor of science (BS). A bachelor’s degree is required to pursue a graduate degree.

Master’s Degree

A graduate degree, such as a master’s degree or a doctoral degree, provides you with advanced expertise in a particular field and qualifies you for higher-level jobs. In many fields—including public policy—the master’s degree is the next step after the baccalaureate. Some master’s programs require students to hold a bachelor’s degree in a related field, while others do not. The time required for a master’s varies, but two years of full-time study is common (joint degrees take longer). Mills awards several kinds of master’s degrees, including the master of arts (MA), master of fine arts (MFA), master of management (MM), MBA, MPP, and joint MPP/MBA.