Bachelor’s-to-Master’s Accelerated Degrees in Public Policy 

BA/MPP Public Policy

Choose any undergraduate major for your bachelor’s degree while taking courses that count towards the master of public policy (MPP). Then complete our accelerated MPP in just one year of study beyond your bachelor’s degree. You’ll gain a strong analytic foundation and hands-on professional experience that will empower you to develop creative solutions to public problems. When you graduate, you’ll be ready for public policy leadership in government agencies, legislative offices, and nonprofit organizations.


Take required courses in economics, business, policy, and government while you complete your bachelor's degree then, in just two more years, earn a joint graduate degree combining the MPP and master of business administration (the joint degree normally requires three years). You’ll develop the leadership and analytical skills to succeed in roles that span the boundaries between government, businesses, nonprofits, and social enterprises so you can solve challenges and create change in your community.

Learn more about what you can do with a master's degree in public policy or our joint MPP/MBA.

Frequently Asked Questions

> Q: What’s the difference between a bachelor’s and a master’s degree?

Bachelor’s Degree

The most common college degree earned after high school is the bachelor’s degree, also known as a “baccalaureate.” At liberal arts colleges like Mills, the bachelor’s degree can be completed in four years of full-time study; nationwide, however, students take an average of five years to finish it. A liberal arts baccalaureate provides you with both a broad base of knowledge and in-depth understanding of a specific field (your major). Mills awards two kinds of bachelor’s degrees: the bachelor of arts (BA) and the bachelor of science (BS). A bachelor’s degree is required to pursue a graduate degree.

Master’s Degree

A graduate degree, such as a master’s degree or a doctoral degree, provides you with advanced expertise in a particular field and qualifies you for higher-level jobs. In many fields—including public policy—the master’s degree is the next step after the baccalaureate. Some master’s programs require students to hold a bachelor’s degree in a related field, while others do not. The time required for a master’s varies, but two years of full-time study is common (joint degrees take longer). Mills awards several kinds of master’s degrees, including the master of arts (MA), master of fine arts (MFA), master of management (MM), MBA, MPP, and joint MPP/MBA.

> Q: What is the bachelor’s-to-master’s accelerated degree program at Mills?

Our bachelor’s-to-master’s accelerated degree programs enable you to complete both an undergraduate and a graduate degree in less time than it would take to earn both degrees separately. The BA/MPP program reduces six years of study to five, and the BA/Joint MPP/MBA reduces seven years of study to six. We help you accomplish this by allowing you to take courses as an undergraduate that count toward your master’s degree. You save time and money and graduate equipped with advanced skills and knowledge that improve your job opportunities right from the start of your career.