Financial Aid Can Help You Invest in Your Future.

More than 80 percent of Mills graduate students receive some form of financial aid, either directly from Mills or from the federal government, to help them pursue an advanced degree.

Types of Financial Aid

Our graduate departments offer varying forms of financial aid ranging from scholarships to assistantships to fellowships. We also provide access to low-interest graduate student loans from the federal government.

There are two types of low-interest student loans specifically for graduate students: Direct Unsubsidized Loans and Direct PLUS Loans. To qualify for these federal loans, you need to be a US citizen or eligible noncitizen and enrolled at least part time in a Mills graduate program. Parents of dependent Mills students can also apply for these loans.

Direct Unsubsidized Loans

Also known as Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loans, this is the primary federal student loan for graduate students. These loans are “unsubsidized” because you don’t have to demonstrate financial need to qualify for them.

  • If you are in a master's or doctoral program, you can borrow up to $20,500 a year.
  • If you are in a certificate program, you can borrow up to $12,500 a year.

Direct PLUS Loans

Direct PLUS Loans are designed to help you pay for educational expenses not covered by Direct Unsubsidized Loans and other forms of aid. Here’s what you need to know about Direct PLUS Loans:

  • There’s no set borrowing limit for Direct PLUS Loans. Your maximum PLUS Loan amount is calculated by subtracting the total amount of financial assistance you’ve already received from the total cost of attendance.
  • The US Department of Education requires that you complete a separate application and a credit check to complete the PLUS Loan application process.

How to Apply for Financial Aid

To be considered for Mills scholarships and Direct Unsubsidized Loans, indicate that you plan to apply for financial aid in the additional questions section of the Mills graduate application. Then submit your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by the appropriate deadline below.

Master's & Doctoral Students

Fall Application February 1
Spring Application November 1

Certificate Program Students

Fall Application February 15
Spring Application November 1

To apply for Direct PLUS Loans submit your FAFSA by the appropriate deadline and complete the separate Direct PLUS Loans application online.

To see if there are special application requirements for aid from your specific graduate program, visit our scholarships, assistantships, and fellowships page to find the link to your program.

Questions About Financial Aid?

We're happy to help you get the answers you need. Contact us at 510.430.3309 or to connect with your admission counselor. They will be able to answer general financial aid questions or refer you to a Mills financial aid specialist.