Transfer Students: How to Apply to Mills

Mills College is preparing to merge with Northeastern University, and we are not accepting admissions applications at this time. Please visit our merger website for the most current information on the merger process.

Are You a Transfer Student?

Apply to Mills as a transfer student if all of the following statements are true:

  • I have completed at least one semester of college at another institution.
  • I am a US citizen or US resident.
  • I am 22 years old or younger.

If this doesn’t sound like you, see our application instructions for first-year, resuming, and international students.

Application Dates & Deadlines

We offer several different options for applying to Mills as a transfer student, including priority consideration for scholarships and spring admission. Here are the most important dates to remember:

March 1

Priority Scholarship Consideration
Send in your completed application by March 1 to receive priority consideration for Mills scholarships. We’ll send you an admission decision by April.

June 15

Final Date to Submit Fall Admission Application

March 2

Financial Aid Forms
More than 80 percent of Mills students receive some form of financial aid. To be considered for need-based aid, all applicants should complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). To be considered for state aid, California residents should confirm that their school has submitted their certified grade point average (GPA) to the California Student Aid Commission. If your school does not do this automatically, you should work with them to complete and submit the paper GPA Verification form.

November 1

Spring Admission
Spring classes start in mid-January. If that’s a better time for you to transfer to Mills, November 1 is your application deadline. You’ll hear back from us by December.

Application Requirements

The Mills admission process is designed to let you share a full picture of who you are, where you’ve been, and what you want to achieve at Mills. Admission is selective, and we give positive consideration to students who have maintained a grade point average of 3.0 or higher in college-level, transferable coursework.

If you have any questions about the following requirements, please reach out to us at 800.87.MILLS, 510.430.2135, or

Admission Application

Admission applications for transfer students are now closed.

This is the heart of the Mills admission process. In addition to submitting standard information, you’ll also share a personal statement and/or response to our supplemental question. There is a $50 application fee, but we do offer fee waivers to qualifying students. 

*The College Official’s Report and the Final Report forms in the Common Application are not required for transfer students.

School Transcripts

Official transcripts from all colleges or universities that you have attended must be sent directly to Mills. The transcripts need to include any courses currently in progress. We may also request midterm grades as part of the application process. Ask each school’s registrar to email your transcript directly to If they cannot send transcript via email, please have the registrar mail it directly to the following address:

Mills College
Office of Admissions
5000 MacArthur Blvd.
Oakland, CA 94613

If you have completed fewer than 24 transferable semester credits, you also must submit your high school or secondary school transcript.

    • The transcript needs to include: confirmation of your graduation, all of your coursework from the start of ninth grade through graduation, your cumulative grade point average, and an interpretation of the school’s grading system. Note that non-English transcripts need to be accompanied by a certified translation.

      Many high school counselors can upload your transcript directly if you use the Mills Application or the Common Application. If your counselor cannot upload your transcript, please ask your school to email it directly to Your third option is to have your school send it to:

      Mills College
      Office of Admissions
      5000 MacArthur Blvd.
      Oakland, CA 94613

  • If you didn’t graduate from high school or were homeschooled, please send us official results of the GED or the California High School Proficiency Examination. Homeschooled students and students who graduated from schools without traditional grades also are required to submit a standardized test score.
    • Mills SAT code: 4485
    • Mills ACT code: 0332
Letter of Recommendation

Instructor recommendations offer another window into understanding your academic ability and personal story. Ask a professor of an academic subject who knows you well to submit a letter of recommendation. If you haven’t been in college for two years or more, you can ask your employer to write your recommendation. We offer three options for your professor or employer to submit a letter of recommendation:



    • A formal letter of recommendation, including your full, current name, and date of birth, emailed directly to

If your professor or employer cannot upload or email the letter, they can send it through regular mail to:

Mills College
Office of Admissions
5000 MacArthur Blvd.
Oakland, CA 94613

SAT or ACT Scores

If you feel that your SAT or ACT score is a strong indication of your academic ability, we’d love to see it. If not, you don’t have to submit your score. As a test-optional college, we consider all students for admission and merit scholarships, with or without standardized test scores.

Note that Mills does require SAT or ACT scores from transfer students who have completed fewer than 24 transferable semester credits AND who were homeschooled or graduated from schools without traditional grades. Contact your admission counselor with any questions.

  • Mills SAT code: 4485
  • Mills ACT code: 0332

Transfer Students

Frequently Asked Questions

Transfer Credit & Agreements

If you have credits to transfer from another school, read our transfer credit policy and follow the quick step-by-step process. Our transfer counselors are here to help answer any questions you have. You can connect with your counselor using our easy online form, or contact the Office of Admissions at 800.87.MILLS, 510.430.2135, or

Transfer from the CA College System

If you're a student transferring from a California community college, a California State University, or a University of California, you'll find your general education courses align with the Mills core curriculum. This ensures you will receive full transfer credit at Mills. Remember that you don't have to complete your general education coursework before transferring.

Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) Mills College Core Curriculum Equivalent
Area 1A: English Composition AND
Area 1B: Critical Thinking
Written and Oral Communication
Area 1B: Critical Thinking Critical Analysis
Area 2: Mathematical Concepts and Quantitative Reasoning Quantitative Literacy
Area 3: Arts and Humanities Creativity, Innovation, and Experimentation
Area 4: Social and Behavioral Sciences (We strongly recommend a class with an international focus.) International Perspectives
Area 5: Physical and Biological Sciences Scientific Inquiry of Natural Systems
Area 6: Language Other Than English Language Other Than English

Note: If you have already completed your IGETC, you will only have two Mills core curriculum requirements to fulfill—Community Engagement and Race, Gender, and Power.

Download the IGETC and Mills core curriculum equivalent chart (PDF).

Students planning to transfer to Mills from City College of San Francisco (PDF), Diablo Valley College (PDF), or the Peralta Colleges (PDF) should refer to the appropriate major articulation agreement to learn which courses count toward Mills core curriculum requirements and which apply toward specific majors.

Students who are transferring from an out-of-state community college or from another four-year institution are encouraged to contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions and make an appointment for an unofficial transfer of credit evaluation to review your transcripts.

Take a Class at Mills

If you’re enrolled in at least six credits at a community college in the Bay Area, you may be able to take a class at Mills through our cross-registration program. To participate, you simply meet with a counselor at your community college, choose an appropriate class, and fill out a cross-registration permit. It’s a great way to get a taste of the Mills College experience, and ensure that you’ll have a smooth transition when you’re ready to transfer.

Participating schools:
  • Berkeley City College
  • Chabot College
  • City College of San Francisco
  • College of Alameda
  • College of Marin
  • Contra Costa College
  • Diablo Valley College
  • Laney College
  • Merritt College
  • Napa Valley College
Guidelines for Specific Majors

Some Mills majors have specific requirements for transfer students:

Connect with a Counselor

Websites can’t always cover everything you want to know, but Mills admission counselors are here to help you through every step of the transfer application process. Use the live chat button on this page to ask us a question in real time or or send us a message. To speak one-on-one with a Mills admission counselor, you can book a phone or video consultation using our easy online reservation form.

For additional questions, email us at or use our form to connect with your admission counselor and send a message to them directly. We'll respond to your email or message in 1–2 business days and look forward to answering your questions.

Mills College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, marital status, age, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, or disability in our admission policies, in our scholarship and loan programs, or in the educational programs, cocurricular activities, and residential facilities which we operate. Students of all genders are eligible for admission to our graduate programs. Self-identified women and people assigned female sex at birth who do not identify with the gender binary are eligible for admission to our undergraduate programs.